The Community Enterprise & Solidarity Economy Clinic (Community Enterprise Clinic) augments the work of chambers of commerce, community development corporations, community organizations, as well as city, county, and municipal governments with pro bono legal representation. We go to the communities where these organizations are located and make presentations about the legal services that the Community Enterprise Clinic provides, meet with prospective clients and learn how we can be of service, and help them make their businesses grow and prosper. The Community Enterprise Clinic also conducts workshops on topics of interest, such as entity formation, agreements among business owners, protection of business and trade secrets, and lease agreements among others. We can tailor a workshop presentation to your needs.
In a business context, legal questions arise in many different shapes, sizes and levels of complexity. Our community outreach program is designed to provide information about common legal challenges businesses face and to provide access to legal services to solve them. Some examples of the legal services the Community Enterprise & Solidarity Economy Clinic provides include advice with respect to:
- The choice of entity for your business, including an analysis of the tax and non-tax consequences;
- The structure of the entity, focusing on three areas: ownership, control and financing;
- Employment issues, including the protection of confidential and proprietary information and contracts with key employees;
- The use of form documents and the implications of contractual terms and provisions;
- The structure of contractual and other relationships with third parties;
- Regular, routine business transactions that arise in the day-to-day operation of a business or not-for-profit organization;
- Financing the growth of a business;
- Planning for the future, including succession planning.
To request a guest speaker, contact Renee Hatcher, Director of the Community Enterprise & Solidarity Economy Clinic, at email@example.com or call (312) 427-2737 ext. 829.