The Law School hosts four competitions each year, which are open only to UIC John Marshall students. Each competition is judged, critiqued, and scored by practicing attorneys and judges.
- The 1L Mock Trial Competition is open to all UIC John Marshall 1L students. The competition is not open to any student who is taking or has taken Trial Advocacy or Evidence. The competition is held during the spring semester.
- The 1L Alternative Dispute Resolution Competition is open to all UIC John Marshall 1L students. The 1L ADR completion is held during the spring semester.
- The Trial Team Trifecta is held in the summer and is open only to students selected for a fall trial team.
- The Alternative Dispute Resolution Triple Crown is also held during the summer and is open only to students selected for a fall ADR team.
UIC John Marshall Law School travel teams compete nationally in a variety of areas—trial advocacy, arbitration and negotiation, client counseling, mediation, and international commercial arbitration. Team are coached by practicing attorneys and by UIC John Marshall faculty. Participation is based on a student’s commitment to ethically represent UIC John Marshall Law School through the student’s best efforts and to fully comply with each team’s rigorous and demanding practice schedule. This hard work and dedication pays off as UIC John Marshall student competitors are consistently recognized in regional, national, and international competitions, such as those listed below.
- ABA Labor and Employment Law Competition
- American Association of Justice Student Trial Advocacy Competition
- Animal Law Advocacy Closing Argument Competition
- Buffalo Niagara National Mock Trial Competition
- Capital City Challenge
- Georgetown University National White Collar Crime Mock Trial Invitational Competition
- Golden Gate University Law School’s In Vino Veritas Trial Competition
- National Trial Advocacy Competition
- Peter James Johnson Civil Rights Trial Competition
- Puerto Rico Trial Competition
- South Texas Mock Trial Challenge
- Texas Young Lawyers Association National Trial Advocacy Competition
Alternative Dispute Resolution
- ABA Arbitration Competition
- ABA Law Student Division Client Counseling Competition
- ABA Law Student Division Negotiation Competition
- ABA Representation in Mediation Competition
- International Academy of Dispute Resolution International Law School Mediation Tournament
- St. John’s University Security Dispute Resolution Triathlon
- Wilhem C. Vis International Commercial Arbitration Moot Competition
Competition Host School
- ABA/UIC John Marshall National Criminal Justice Trial Competition (CJC)
- ABA Alternative Dispute Resolution Competitions
(Arbitration, Negotiation, Mediation, or Client Counseling – one per year on a rolling basis)